866-WE LISTEN or 919-967-7273
Our help line operates 24 hours a day, every day of the year. Trained staff and volunteers (“Companions”) provide support for survivors of sexual violence, their loved ones, and professionals seeking information. You can call us immediately after the experience, weeks later, or even years later. In addition to calling our help line any time, you may find our resources for survivors helpful.
Who should call our help line?
We support survivors of all types of sexual violence, such as rape, assault, harassment, stalking, sex trafficking, incest, and child sexual abuse*. We also serve people who may not refer to what happened to them as sexual violence but who feel that they have been negatively affected by a sexual experience. Our services are available to all members of the community regardless of race, socioeconomic class, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, disability, age*, language, national origin, and immigration status.
*Age and child sexual abuse: Our Companions are trained to serve minors who are 13-17 years old. However:
– If a minor tells us or if we suspect that they or another minor, an elderly adult, or a person with a disability is being harmed, we may be required by law to report this to the authorities.
– We cannot offer ongoing services to minors without parental consent.
Our Companions can:
- Talk with you over the phone or meet with you face-to-face
- Provide emotional support
- Go with you to the hospital
- Go with you to make a police report
- Go with you to court appointments
- Give you information about laws
- Give you information about other services, like support groups and therapy
- Help you find books or other resources that you might find helpful
- Answer questions about your healing process
We have both female and male Companions. You may request to speak with whomever you feel most comfortable.
To reach the Help Line:
Toll Free: 866-WE LISTEN (935-4783)