We’re just beginning to plan for this year’s Sexual Assault Awareness Month. Check back here periodically as we add events and initiatives coming up this April.
Saturday, March 22. 9am – 12:30pm.
Come out to learn from local experts and fellow parents about ways to make those tough conversations just a little bit easier. Whether your kids are 2 or 22, this summit is for YOU! Activities include parent panels, parent-child workshops, and childcare for kids 2 and up. Get ready to start talking with your family about issues ranging from peer pressure and boundaries to sexual abuse and cyberbullying. Find out more in English and en Español.
Saturday, March 29. 8am. Northgate Mall.
Join us at the Great Human Race! Our team will be participating in the community walk and fundraising for the Center. Create your own fundraising page, and join us for a walk, 5K, or 10K (your choice!) on March 29. Visit our website for more information about the event, instructions for creating a fundraising page, and FAQs.
Shout Out! Against Sexual Violence
Tuesday, April 15. 6:30-8:30pm. Seymour Senior Center.
Submissions due March 14, 2014.
Shout Out! It’s your chance to be heard! The Center will host the 12th Annual Shout Out Against Sexual Violence on April 15, 2014. This event is an evening of expression including personal thoughts and experiences surrounding the issues of rape and sexual assault. Survivors of sexual violence and those who care about them will have the opportunity to read works and perform pieces including stories, poetry, spoken word, performance art, visual art, and more. There will be a period for open mic following the submitted program pieces, as time allows.
Wednesday, April 23
Wear denim today to show you stand against sexual violence! (Why jeans? Find out here.)
In honor of SAAM, add a fundraising component to benefit the Center. Ideas:
- Ask your boss to allow the office to wear jeans in exchange for a $10 donation to the Center.
- Encourage your coworkers and classmates to bring their lunch. Donate what you would have spent on lunch out to the Center.
- Hold a Penny War to benefit the Center.
- Host a bake sale, doughnut sale, or coffee and hot chocolate sale.
What You Can Do
- Check out the resources from the National Sexual Violence Resource Center.
- Support the Center by donating and coming to our events.
- Volunteer at the Center.
- Host a fundraiser for the Center.
- Be a supportive listener to those affected by sexual assault.
- Talk to your friends about healthy relationships.
- Replace victim-blaming statements with statements of support.
- Educate yourself.
- Talk to your children about safe touches and preventing violence. Request our Community Educators to present a program to your kids’ daycare, youth group, or sports team.
- Request our Community Educators to present a program for adults to your PTA, book club, social club, church group, or office.
- Challenge rape myths and stereotypes.
- Speak up when you hear sexist language or someone downplaying the severity of sexual assault.