April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM)! We are hosting a variety of uplifting, educational, and engaging events, so check back often for the most up-to-date information.
OCRCC & Community SAAM Events
MYTHBUSTERS: HAIR EDITION:
Friday 4/29, 7:30pm, Moshi Moshi Golden Belt.
Join the Moshettes for an open forum on myths, urban legends, and straight-up lies about hair. Proceeds will benefit the Center. Check out the Facebook event. Durham@moshimoshimeanshello.com.
SONIC TEMPLE TAMALE DANCE PARTY:
Saturday 4/30, 9pm-2am, Bowbarr.
KC Masterpeace + DJ Meesh + tasty tamales = awesome dance party! Donations for the Center are encouraged at the door. Bowbarr will also contribute a percentage of sales from the evening. 21+. Check out the Facebook event. Gentry@ocrcc.org.
HOW TO HELP A LOVED ONE:
Wednesday, 5/4, 6-8pm, CH Public Library (Mtg Rm B).
Has your loved one been raped, sexually assaulted, or abused? Are you struggling with how best to help them through the healing process or just want to know what else you can do? Come to this workshop for adult parents, partners, family members, and friends of those who have experienced sexual violence. Whether the assault happened recently or years ago, you will learn helpful tips and resources to use as a supporter. Pre-registration is not required but is encouraged so we can prepare snacks. Contact Bethany at 919-968-4647 or at Bethany@ocrcc.org.
STEWARDS OF CHILDREN:
Thursday 5/5, 8:45am-12pm, Fairview Child & Family Center (125 Lawndale Avenue, Hillsborough).
An evidence-based training for parents of preschool-aged children on the prevention and early detection of child sexual abuse. RValentine@ocrcc.org.
Online Activism: Join the Conversation
Color for a Cause:
Download SAAM Coloring Pages, spend some time coloring for self-care. These beautiful pages with inspiring messages come from Ryerson University’s We Believe You coloring book for survivors and from NSVRC’s SAAM resources. When you’re finished, send us your artistic masterpieces! Bring them by the office or email them to Gentry@ocrcc.org.
#30Daysof SAAM Instagram Contest:
Each day in April, join @NSVRC in posting a photo that reflects the day’s theme. Participants who submit original content will have a chance to win a #SAAM prize pack. A winner will be selected each week. To enter, use the hashtag #30DaysofSAAM and tag @NSVRC in your post. Click here to view the prompts for each day of the month.
You can use social networking sites to engage online communities in sexual violence prevention. Social media tools can help spread awareness and advocate for social change. The NSVRC Social Media Toolkit offers guidance on how to best utilize the resources of this year’s campaign online.
– @OCRCC on Facebook, Twitter, Vimeo, Pinterest, and blog
– @NSVRC on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram, Tumblr, and blog
2016 Community Partners
Al’s Burger Shack
Carrboro Yoga Company
CHCCS Special Needs Advisory Council
Not So Normal Run
Tru Deli + Wine
UNC Alpha Chi Omega
UNC Chi Psi
UNC Kappa Kappa Gamma
UNC Sigma Phi
How You Can Help
- Check out the resources from the National Sexual Violence Resource Center.
- Support the Center by donating and coming to our events.
- Donate items on our wishlist.
- Volunteer at the Center.
- Host a fundraiser for the Center.
- Engage in online activism.
- Be a supportive listener to those affected by sexual assault.
- Talk to your friends about healthy relationships.
- Replace victim-blaming statements with statements of support.
- Educate yourself.
- Talk to your children about safe touches and preventing violence. Request our Community Educators to present a program to your kids’ daycare, youth group, or sports team.
- Request our Community Educators to present a program for adults to your PTA, book club, social club, church group, or office.
- Challenge rape myths and stereotypes.
- Speak up when you hear sexist language or someone downplaying the severity of sexual assault.