A big thank you to our community for another amazing Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM)! In April 2016, we hosted a variety of uplifting, educational, and engaging events.
2016 Community Partners
Al’s Burger Shack
Carrboro Yoga Company
CHCCS Special Needs Advisory Council
Not So Normal Run
Tru Deli + Wine
UNC Alpha Chi Omega
UNC Chi Psi
UNC Kappa Kappa Gamma
UNC Sigma Phi
How You Can Help
- Support the Center by donating, coming to our events, or contributing items from our wishlist, or hosting a fundraiser for the Center.
- Volunteer at the Center.
- Be a supportive listener to those affected by sexual assault.
- Talk to your friends about healthy relationships.
- Replace victim-blaming statements with statements of support.
- Educate yourself.
- Talk to your children about safe touches and preventing violence. Request our Community Educators to present a program to your kids’ daycare, youth group, or sports team.
- Request our Community Educators to present a program for adults to your PTA, book club, social club, church group, or office.
- Challenge rape myths and stereotypes.
- Speak up when you hear sexist language or someone downplaying the severity of sexual assault.
Online Activism: Join the Conversation
Color for a Cause:
Download SAAM Coloring Pages, and spend some time coloring for self-care. These beautiful pages with inspiring messages come from Ryerson University’s We Believe You coloring book for survivors and from NSVRC’s SAAM resources. When you’re finished, send us your artistic masterpieces! Bring them by the office or email them to Gentry@ocrcc.org.
You can use social networking sites to engage online communities in sexual violence prevention throughout the year. Social media tools can help spread awareness and advocate for social change. The NSVRC Social Media Toolkit offers guidance on how to best utilize the resources of this year’s campaign online.
– @OCRCC on Facebook, Twitter, Vimeo, Pinterest, and blog
– @NSVRC on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram, Tumblr, and blog
OCRCC & Community SAAM Events
Shout Out! Against Sexual Violence 2017
When: Monday, April 24th, 2017
Time: 5:30 – 7:30 pm
Where: Chapel Hill Public Library, Mtg. room B
The Center’s annual Shout Out! is an event that explores the survivor experience through stories, testimonials, poetry and spoken word, dance, music, and visual art. We welcome submissions from survivors, their loved ones, and allies. Pieces can be submitted with the artist’s name or anonymously. Those submitting written-word pieces may choose to perform those pieces themselves or they can request that a volunteer read their piece. Artists do not need to be present in order for their work to be included. All written pieces will be printed in the event program in both English and Spanish unless otherwise specified by the artist. Please check back here for more info as we get closer to SAAM! We look forward to hearing from you!
If you are interested in participating in this year’s Shout Out!, you can send questions and submit pieces to Crisis Response Coordinator Jennifer Grant at email@example.com. The deadline for submissions is March 31. We look forward to hearing from you!
More SAAM Events
Check back here as we get closer to April for info about more events. Questions? Ideas? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.