A big thank you to our community for another amazing Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM)! In April 2016, we hosted a variety of uplifting, educational, and engaging events.
2016 Community Partners
Al’s Burger Shack
Carrboro Yoga Company
CHCCS Special Needs Advisory Council
Not So Normal Run
Tru Deli + Wine
UNC Alpha Chi Omega
UNC Chi Psi
UNC Kappa Kappa Gamma
UNC Sigma Phi
How You Can Help
- Support the Center by donating, coming to our events, or contributing items from our wishlist, or hosting a fundraiser for the Center.
- Volunteer at the Center.
- Be a supportive listener to those affected by sexual assault.
- Talk to your friends about healthy relationships.
- Replace victim-blaming statements with statements of support.
- Educate yourself.
- Talk to your children about safe touches and preventing violence. Request our Community Educators to present a program to your kids’ daycare, youth group, or sports team.
- Request our Community Educators to present a program for adults to your PTA, book club, social club, church group, or office.
- Challenge rape myths and stereotypes.
- Speak up when you hear sexist language or someone downplaying the severity of sexual assault.
Online Activism: Join the Conversation
Color for a Cause:
Download SAAM Coloring Pages, and spend some time coloring for self-care. These beautiful pages with inspiring messages come from Ryerson University’s We Believe You coloring book for survivors and from NSVRC’s SAAM resources. When you’re finished, send us your artistic masterpieces! Bring them by the office or email them to Gentry@ocrcc.org.
You can use social networking sites to engage online communities in sexual violence prevention throughout the year. Social media tools can help spread awareness and advocate for social change. The NSVRC Social Media Toolkit offers guidance on how to best utilize the resources of this year’s campaign online.
– @OCRCC on Facebook, Twitter, Vimeo, Pinterest, and blog
– @NSVRC on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram, Tumblr, and blog
OCRCC & Community SAAM Events
Check back here in 2017 for SAAM events.
Questions? Ideas? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.