Many survivors feel like they don’t have anyone to talk to about their experiences with sexual violence. Support groups offer a safe space to talk to people with similar experiences. Our groups give survivors the opportunity to support and encourage each other.
We offer discussion-based groups and activity-focused groups. Each group is led by two trained facilitators who have experience working with survivors of sexual violence. Most groups have only 6-10 members and meet weekly for 8-12 weeks. Once they begin, groups are closed to new members.
If you are interested in joining a group, call our Help Line at 1-866-WE LISTEN or 919-967-7273. We can tell you about upcoming groups and give you information about the structure and format of groups. All our groups are free and confidential.
Upcoming Groups & Workshops:
Community Garden Self-Care Workshop for Survivors of Sexual Violence
When: Thursday, July 24
Where: Carrboro, NC (location and directions provided upon registration)
Cost: FREE (all necessary tools and supplies provided)
Please join us for a family-friendly self-care opportunity. The Center is offering this two-hour workshop for adult survivors of sexual violence at our very own community garden. Under the guidance of two Center staff members, workshop participants will have the opportunity to engage in activities such as seeding, weeding, watering plants, and harvesting – whatever the garden may need! In addition, participants will learn about gardening practices. The goal of this workshop is to provide an opportunity to learn and practice self-care skills together. If crops are ready for harvesting, workshop participants will get to take home some produce if desired.
Pre-registration is required to attend this workshop. Space is limited. Please contact Crisis Response Coordinator Joey Honeycutt at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-968-4647 as soon as possible to register. Registration closes on Monday, July 21, or as space allows.
- We suggest wearing comfortable clothes and shoes that can get dirty, and we highly recommend bringing sunscreen for yourself.
- Survivors of all genders are welcome to attend.
- Children ages 5+ are welcome to attend. Children attending the workshop will participate in gardening activities with their parent, under their parent’s supervision. Please note: There will NOT be child care providers on site, and children and parents must be registered in advance of the workshop.
If the specific group you are interested in is not currently available, call us at 1-866-WE LISTEN for information about other options:
- Notification by mail, email, or phone of the next available group.
- Information about groups and therapy available in the community.
- One-on-one support services.